Poland Silicon Valley Science and Technology Symposium 2013
took place on November 7-8, 2013 at the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco.
We were honored to welcome our prominent guests, Consul for Culture, Press, Education and Polish Community at Consulate General of the Republic of Poland in Los Angeles, Mrs. Małgorzata Cup, Director at San Francisco Mayor’s Office of International Trade and Commerce, Mr. Mark Chandler, Member of the European Parliament, Mrs. Jolanta Emilia Hibner, President of the City of Białystok, Mr. Tadeusz Truskolaski, Chairman of the Białystok City Council, Mr. Włodzimierz Kusak, Rector of the Technical University of Bialystok, Professor Lech Dzienis, delegates from the National Center for Research and Development in Poland – the official Partner of the Symposium.
We were proud to host representatives of over 40 Polish Universities and Research Institutions from Poland, participants of the TOP500 Innovators Program – the 40.7 Group at Stanford University and 40.8 Group at University of California, Berkeley as well as representatives of local companies and organizations.
With the rapidly growing population of the developing countries, and with the rapid shift in the developed countries’ demographics towards growing percentage of older population supported by declining percentage of young population, two major aspects will keep challenging the world in the future: reliable supplies of healthy nutrition and potable water, and medical care when needed for the price affordable to the society. This year Symposium focused on some of the subjects associated with the above challenges: from medical science through advanced materials and technologies. Among the topics discussed by our prominent panelists from Poland and the United States, were:
- The current state of Stem Cell research and technology – with the invaluable contribution from Robert Klein, Andrzej Pawlak, Anna Domaszewska-Szostek and Father Gerald Coleman;
- Zbigniew Nawrat, Gerardo Noriega and Kazimierz Witaszek introduced us to some life-saving tools and break-through technologies and solutions in the field of Robotic systems in surgery;
- Innovative therapies in modern cancer treatments were precisely discussed by Waldemar Priebe, Thomas Zioncheck, Marcin Szumowski who examined existing state of knowledge about current understanding of cancer as group of diseases, and offered a unique insight into new therapies and treatments;
- Marcin Kawalski and Krzysztof Kulesza offered a glimpse into new frontiers of medicine and inspired the audience with their vision of the future of medicine.
- Lech Dzienis, Barbara Petersen and Oleg Demchuk addressed the advanced sciences in food and nutrition, the regulatory and the economic challenges connected with them.
- Soody Tronson provided insight into the path From research to technology transfer to commercialization for the BioPharma SMEs, supported by Marcin Szumowski presenting the successful model of technology transfer in Life Sciences for Poland.
- Zbigniew Radzimski, Zheng Lu, Oreste Donzella, Rajmund Bacewicz, Adam Januszko and Leif Jensen explored the economic and technical enablers of the rapid globalization of markets for semiconductor products as well as the development of more capable devices in exponentially growing quantities. They presented the legacy of Jan Czochralski and the Polish contribution to the growing markets and trends in advanced materials.
The discussions were led by our outstanding moderators: Piotr Moncarz, Jerzy Orkiszewski, Wanda Łopuch and Marek Żywno. Speakers, panels and topics were introduced by the Masters of Ceremony Lukas Grabiec and Dominik Schmidt.
Among our distinctive key-speakers were: Janusz Bryzek speaking about the Life Sciences – Foundation for Abundance, Dominik Schmidt on Silicon Valley Career, the legendary Franklin Pitch Johnson speaking about Public-private investments stimulating break-through developments as well as Elizabeth Anderson on Risk Management.
During the first day of the Poland Silicon Valley Science and Technology Symposium, the organizer, US-Polish Trade Council, signed a cooperation agreement with the City of Białystok, represented on the Symposium by the President of the City of Białystok and the Chairman of the City Council. Congratulations!
The 2013 edition of the Poland Silicon Valley Science and Technology Symposium was sponsored by the Consulate General of the Republic of Poland in Los Angeles, Exponent And K&L Gates.
It was organized under the Patronage of Consul General of the Republic of Poland in Los Angeles, Mariusz Brymora, the Top500 Innovators Association, Polish Academy of Sciences, Polish Information and Foreign Investment Agency and the Patronage of the President of the Board of the Foundation for Polish Science, Professor Maciej Żylicz.
We would like to thank our sponsors and patrons for their kind contribution and on-going support.
We proudly welcomed the letter of support for Poland Silicon Valley Science and Technology Symposium from Minister Olgierd R. Dziekonski, Secretary of State, Cabinet of the President of the Republic of Poland.
The 2013 PSVTS Brochure :
firstname.lastname@example.org with a request of the topic of your interest – we will share the presentations with you upon receiving your request and supposing the author agreed for the material to be distributed among the public.